As summer approaches, you’re more inclined to opt for fresher foods and simpler meals. But lighter fare doesn’t mean a boring bed of lettuce. There are plenty of delicious ways to get creative with your leafy greens, making your salad the star of the cookout.
Here are a few tips to make your salad worthy of top billing:
Fisher Grilled Asian Steak Salad
Marinade and dressing:
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 medium clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces boneless beef top sirloin steak, about 3/4-inch thick
1 package (10 ounces) hearts of romaine lettuce
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
1/4 cup julienne sliced carrot
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup Fisher Chef’s Naturals Whole Almonds, toasted
1. For marinade, combine all ingredients in small bowl; whisk until blended. Reserve 2/3 cup for salad dressing.
2. Place steak and remaining marinade in resealable plastic food storage bag; turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator several hours or overnight; turning occasionally.
3. Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium coals. Remove steak from bag; discard marinade. Place steak on grid of grill. Grill, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes turning occasionally or until preferred doneness.
4. Remove steak from grill to cutting board. Carve steak crosswise into thin slices.
5. Meanwhile, place lettuce, tomatoes, bell pepper, carrot, and onion in large bowl; toss. Arrange salad on large serving platter; top with steak slices. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with reserved dressing.
For more summer recipes, go to www.fishernuts.com/recipes. Visit Fisher Nuts on Facebook and share your summer entertaining ideas.